Woman Found Dead Near The Scene Of The Sydney CBD Stabbing

Woman Found Dead Near The Scene Of The Sydney CBD Stabbing

The witness suggests killing the suspect, while others tell the witness to stop and to wait for the police.

A second woman was found dead inside an apartment building on the same street.

A bloodied knife-wielding man was allegedly screaming "Allahu Akbar" and "shoot me".

Sydney civilians can just be glad that Ney was armed only with a butcher's knife, rather than a semi-automatic weapon.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said Mert Ney is expected to be charged with murder as well as serious assault after he unleashed "terrifying carnage" in the city yesterday afternoon.

"The threat to the community has been negated".

Over the next six minutes he stabbed a 41-year old woman in the back and attempted to stab even more people.

No other serious injuries have been reported.

The suspect shouted "Allahu Akbar" and "shoot me" before a group of locals subdued and pinned him to the ground.

There are multiple reports the man had stabbed someone near the corner of King and Clarence streets as police make their way to the location.

2GB reporter Tamara Wearne spoke with Tom Elliott from the scene.

The Sydney Morning Herald said authorities believe the woman's death was connected to the rampage.

O'Shaughnessy, who played over 70 times for the Shakers from 1998 to 2004, his brother Luke and his friend Lee Cuthbert - all from Manchester - were working in their recruitment company office in the Australian city when they heard shouting in the street and gave chase.

"We've opened the window and seen the guy wielding a knife and jumping on the bonnet" of a nearby vehicle, Paul O'Shaughnessy, a former professional footballer, told AFP. "And I want to acknowledge that".

Gavin Wood, a superintendent with the New South Wales police, praised members of the public who restrained the suspect, who has not been named.

"To approach a person. with clear evidence of a stabbing previously, these people are heroes".

The man walked across a city street with a knife and jumped onto the bonnet of a vehicle allegedly shouting "Allahu Akbar" and "shoot me", according to Australian media.

"He ran all the way back to near my work where a lot of others had cornered him for the police!" "These members of the public have jumped into a situation which was extremely risky, extremely hostile and they brought a person who we will be alleging stabbed an innocent person for no specific reason into custody and allowed us to do our job".

The members of the public used plastic chairs from nearby cafes and a plastic crate to subdue the man.

"They were courageous and I can only use that word seriously - they were significantly fearless people", he said.

They said they were "proud" of their actions, but denied they were heroes - despite police and the country's prime minister commending them for helping to tackle the suspect.

Related Articles