Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver court Tuesday for extradition case

Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver court Tuesday for extradition case

Meng's arrest at Vancouver airport on December 1, 2018 at the request of federal investigators in the USA has sparked a diplomatic row between Ottawa and Beijing, which has tried to frame her arrest as politically motivated. Prosecutors, meanwhile, indicated that they wanted to fast-track the case.

Meng lawyers said comments by Trump, who told Reuters the charges against Meng could be dropped if that would help China trade talks, disqualify the United States from pursuing the case further in Canadian courts.

At a pre-extradition hearing they also insisted there was no evidence that Meng had misrepresented Huawei's relationship with an Iranian company to a bank, as the United States has alleged. The company reiterated that the USA -ordered arrest was "an unlawful abuse of process - one guided by political considerations and tactics".

The limited scope of an extradition hearing means the Crown's disclosure obligations are different from domestic prosecutions, so it's up to the defence to prove they're entitled to more, he said. The Huawei boss is next due in court in September, and the case could continue for years.


Howes said the allegations against Meng are untrue and said the business activities of Meng were conducted openly and transparently with the full knowledge of banking officials.

Meng has been under house arrest since mid-December at one of her two multimillion-dollar Vancouver homes.

Meng and her attorney, Scott Fenton, appeared in a Vancouver courtroom Wednesday. The US allegations against Meng are based on violations of US sanctions against Iran.

Meng's lawyers previously said Trump "has repeatedly stated that he would interfere in Ms. Meng's case if he thought it would assist the U.S negotiations with China over a trade deal".


The main focus of Wednesday's appearance, set for 10 a.m. Vancouver time, is to schedule subsequent court dates, including those related to any legal applications that Meng's team plans to bring forward ahead of extradition hearings, according to a statement from Canada's justice department.

Tensions between China and Canada have escalated since Meng's arrest. This refers to statements by the US President Donald trump that he could intervene in the case.

"Ms. Meng will apply to the court, asking the RCMP, CBSA, and DOJ to disclose more evidence on this matter", said Huawei. She'll be just two doors down from the USA consul general's residence, where the star-spangled banner flaps on the front lawn.

There has also been economic pressure - China has halted Canadian canola imports and suspended the permits of two major pork producers amid the dispute. Last week, US prosecutors filed a motion seeking to disqualify one of Huawei's lead defense lawyers, James Cole.


David Martin, another lawyer for Meng, said she is requesting a surety substitution and pointed to an affidavit from a court designate that says Meng's second property is larger, gated and minimize security issues. She had indicated in bail hearings she would like to move from her house valued at C$5 million to her other C$13.3 million residence once renovations at the latter are complete.

Related Articles