CNN offices evacuated after bomb threat, no explosive found

Adjust Comment Print

CNN's New York City offices and studios were evacuated Thursday night due to a bomb threat, forcing the network to switch to pre-filmed programming. The Midtown North precinct tweeted that West 58th St. between 8th and 9th Avenues is closed due to a "police investigation".

All vehicle and pedestrian traffic around the CNN offices had also been blocked by police, said New York Police Detective Hubert Reyes.

CNN anchor Brian Stelter said that the building had been evacuated.

The caller who phoned in the threat claimed there were five bombs inside the building, New York's WNBC-TV reported, citing a police source.


Lemmon said fire alarms rang and a loudspeaker told them they needed to evacuate.

The network temporarily went to taped programming for about 30 minutes before going live from the street while police investigated.

After CNN resumed its live coverage, Lemon said that a "call was made from the southern part of the United States".

Initial reports conflicted about the precise time of the bomb threat itself, raising questions about whether Trump's tweet might have instigated the attack.


The bomb threat was called in while CNN's Don Lemon was in mid-broadcast.

"There has been a bomb threat phoned into the CNN offices in NY", tweeted the official CNN public relations account.

This is a developing story - more to come.


Comments