Suspect Arrested In Fatal Louisville Kroger Shooting

Suspect Arrested In Fatal Louisville Kroger Shooting

A gunman walked into a Kentucky supermarket on Wednesday and shot a man dead then left the store and killed a woman in the parking lot, police said. But when asked if the attack may have been racially motivated, Jeffersontown Police Chief Sam Rogers responded, "I can't speculate on motive at this time".

Bush arrived at the First Baptist Church of Jeffersontown shortly after Wednesday service concluded.

The National Black Church Initiative raised its terrorism alert to its highest level, purple, following the October 24 shooting that claimed the lives of two African American shoppers.

Rogers also said the suspect, 51-year-old Gregory Bush, apparently does have a history of mental illness as news outlets have reported.

Authorities removed computers and cellphones from the house where Bush lived with his parents.

The shooting took place around 2:30 p.m. (1830 GMT), Kroger said.

Ed Harrell, who is presumably white, told the paper he was waiting in the parking lot when he heard gunshots.

"She was gone, there's nothing I could do", Deacon said.

Jones was one of two people fatally shot at a Kroger grocery store in Jeffersontown, Kentucky, on Wednesday.

Officials have identified the male suspect as Gregory Alan Bush. His bail was set at $5 million, according to the newspaper.

The report says Bush repeatedly unplugged the phone so they couldn't call police and fled the home with a handgun.

An arrest citation said Bush's parents were punched and choked, and they told police they were "terrified of (his) unpredictable behavior".

Local media dug through previous criminal complaints filed by Bush's family members and ex-wife, who told police that he had a history of mental illness, violent incidents and making racist comments.

An arrest record from May 2009 says Bush became "irate" and shouted obscenities and threats at his ex-wife. When deputies tried to subdue him, Bush fought off attempts to handcuff him and punched a deputy twice. He was charged with several counts including assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

The arrest sheet says his ex-wife had an emergency protective order against Bush. He's recorded driving out of the lot while an officer chases after him on foot.

Fischer shared his outrage at a news conference Thursday over what he called an "epidemic of gun violence" that "hit close to home".

One of the two victims, Stallard, who was shopping with his 12-year-old grandson was the father of Kellie Watson, who serves as chief racial equity officer in the administration of Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer.

Kroger closed the store after the shooting and will reopen it after the investigation is complete.

In the store, Bush allegedly "pulled a pistol from his waistband and shot [a man] in the rear of the head and again multiple times as he lay on the floor", according to an arrest reported cited by the Courier-Journal.

The police report says an unidentified armed civilian challenged the shooter and that Bush allegedly began firing at Jones in the parking lot. Neither were injured. Bush is charged with two counts of murder and 10 counts of wanton endangerment.

And 67-year-old Vickie Lee Jones of Louisville, who died outside the store.

Bush was booked into Metro Corrections in Louisville on Thursday. The shooting happened right outside of Louisville. Neither man was hurt in that confrontation, Rogers said.

Related Articles