Plane carrying body of Nawaz Sharif's wife reaches Lahore

Adjust Comment Print

The former first lady's body will be flown back to Pakistan tonight at 10pm on a Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight scheduled to depart from Heathrow Airport for Lahore.

The former three-time premier, who was accompanied by Sharif family members to pay respects to Begum Kulsoom at Sharif Medical City after her body was brought to Lahore, is now meeting guests in Jati Umra.

On Thursday, hundreds of people attended the funeral prayers of Begum Kulsoom at London's Regent Park mosque, which was separate from another one to take place in Lahore on Friday.

Also, Iranian Consular General visited Jati Umra for offering condolences to Nawaz Sharif.

Her two sons - Hussain Nawaz and Hassan Nawaz - and Samdhi Ishaq Dar will stay in London.

Legal formalities have been completed and the family has received a death certificate issued by the Harley Street Clinic, where Begum Kulsoom died on Tuesday.

Last night, when Shehbaz reached London, Nawaz's son Hussain hugged him and broke down into tears.

When Shehbaz reached Adiala Jail to meet Nawaz after the demise of Begum Kulsoom, the latter initially refused to come out of jail on parole in protest against his conviction and detention.

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz spokesperson Maryam Aurangzeb told PTI that Sharif's younger brother and the party president Shahbaz Sharif had filed an application with the Punjab government requesting the release of his elder brother, niece Maryam and Safdar for five days on parole so that they could attend the funeral of Kulsoom.

People continued to arrive at Jati Umra to express grief and offer sympathy to the Sharif family.

Begum Kulsoom Nawaz's funeral prayers would be held at 5:00pm on today ( Friday) at the Sharif Medical City, Jati Umra.

The home department said the period of parole has been extended until 12 am on Monday. Sharif, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Capt (retd) M Safdar, now serving jail terms in the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi after being convicted by an accountability court in a corruption case in July, have been released on parole to attend Kulsoom's funeral.