Thailand Cave Rescue Saves 8 Children Trapped For Weeks Underground

Adjust Comment Print

Thailand cave rescue: how did the boys get out?

As the mission to extract the boys and coach Chiang Rai province acting Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn, who led the ongoing rescue operation of the football team and coach, said the operation was going "better than expected" after the first four boys were led out. "Everyone is safe", the SEALs wrote on Facebook. ABC News has identified the Wild Boar soccer team players Mongkol Boonbiam, Songpong Jaiwong, Ponchai Kumluang, Pipat Pothi, Duangpetch Promthep, Adul Samon, Panumat Sangdee, Peerapat Sompiangjai, Prajak Sutham, Nuttawut Takamsong, Chanin Wiboonrungrueng and Eakkarat Wongsukchan.

Onlookers in front of Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital watch and cheer as ambulances transport the last rescued schoolboys and their coach to the hospital from a helipad nearby, on July 10, 2018, in Chiang Rai, Thailand.

On the Twitter-like Sina Weibo site, the hashtag "Thai boys football team rescued" ranked 39th on Tuesday night in China.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach got trapped on June 23 when they set out to explore the vast cave complex after soccer practice, when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

British divers found the 13, hungry and huddled in darkness on a muddy bank in a partly flooded chamber several kilometres inside the complex, on Monday last week.

Heavy rain began falling Tuesday as rescuers worked to replenish oxygen tanks for the third mission side the cave. The rainfall causes water levels inside the cave to rise.

Experts warned it was extremely risky to dive the youngsters out of the cave. None of the boys had ever dived before. "Delighted to see the successful rescue of those trapped in the caves in Thailand".

A daring rescue mission in the treacherous confines of a flooded cave in northern Thailand overnight saved the remainder of the 12 boys and their soccer coach who were trapped deep within the labyrinth, ending a grueling 18-day ordeal that claimed the life of an experienced diver and riveted people around the world.

They were brought to the surface by a daisy chain of divers who guided them through 4km of narrow, murky water-filled passages.

The four boys rescued first are "well, they're up and about", Sky News' southeast Asia correspondent, Siobhan Robbins, said. He ran out of air while trying to swim out of the cave.

They're all likely to stay the hospital for seven days due to their weakened immune systems, Chokedamrongsook said.

According to Reuters, the children - they have low body temperatures and two have lung infections -will remain quarantined in a hospital for the next week to undergo testing.