Divers re-enter cave as Thai rescue restarts

Adjust Comment Print

"The boys' strength, the plan - today we are ready like before".

Authorities on Monday confirmed that water inflows into the cave remained at controllable levels while drainage efforts continued. The operation to get them out was supposed to resume only after new oxygen tanks could be placed along their route of escape, which is partially underwater.

The second extraction attempt involves a larger team of Thai and foreign divers, some of whom took the places of divers who were exhausted after Sunday's extraction, he said.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said the same divers who took part in Sunday's rescue will return to extricate the others as they know the cave conditions and what to do.

First of all, four of the boys were successfully extracted from the cave system.

Divers have gone in for the second rescue attempt, Thai officials said.

Finally, Elon Musk tasked SpaceX engineers with crafting a special tiny submarine that could be used during the rescue, and the tech guru says the device is operational.

Four children who were rescued have been safely delivered by helicopter to the hospital in Chiang Rai, head of the rescue operations said.

Delight as the first of the trapped Thai boys freed from cave after more than two weeks deep underground. Each boy is being accompanied by two divers and it takes about two hours to navigate the flooded and dark tunnels.

The soccer team seen in the cave last week, before anyone was rescued.

One boy has already been rescued on Monday, Sky News reported a Royal Thai Navy official as saying, bringing the total number of boys that have been rescued up to five.

The rescue operation is estimated to take ten hours, and end by 9 p.m.

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osottanakorn said Saturday that mild weather and falling water levels in recent days had created the "perfect" conditions for an underwater evacuation.

Officials have yet to confirm the identities of the four boys freed.

The potential for rising water and the dwindling oxygen levels added to the urgency of getting the team out. Efforts to pump water out of the cave have been set back by heavy downpours.

Poonsak Sripiromrak, who runs a shop selling gems, jewelry and religious statues in Mae Si, said the story has kept everyone in town on edge for the more than two weeks since the boys first went missing. Last week, a former Thai navy diver died while preparing for the operation.

The boys and their coach had been stranded in Tham Luang Nang Non when they went exploring in the cave after a scrimmage. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

The ordeal has riveted Thailand and captured the world's attention. The search and rescue operation has involved dozens of worldwide experts and rescuers, including a USA military team.

Musk posted videos on Twitter of the aluminum sub being tested at a swimming pool Sunday midafternoon California time.

"Hopefully useful", he wrote in one tweet, noting that the device would arrive in 17 hours.

When looking at an animation of the cave rescue, Brick said, "The ceiling dips down enough in certain areas that it forms a waterproof seal when those passages fill up".

Still, the four were undergoing medical checks in a hospital in the provincial capital and were not yet allowed close contact with relatives due to fear of infections. "Very courageous and talented people!"