Sepp Blatter defies Federation Internationale de Football Association ban to attend World Cup

Adjust Comment Print

The former president of world soccer's governing body FIFA, Sepp Blatter, has arrived in Russian Federation where the football World Cup is now omgoing.

The two men developed a close relationship after Fifa's disputed decision in 2010 to award this year's tournament to Russian Federation instead of England. "How I was received here, television, cameras, people photographs and so on", he said in the interview filmed in front of the Kremlin.

But the Federation Internationale de Football Association ban doesn't prevent him from attending games and he's expected to see Portugal play Morocco on Wednesday at Luzhniki Stadium.


He is travelling with his partner Linda Barras on his first public appearance outside his native Switzerland since July 2015 when the World Cup qualifying draw was conducted in St. Petersburg.

Last year, Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed the invitation, saying: "Putin has a long and, you may say, friendly relationship with Blatter".

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Blatter said: "I think England, or Ireland, they deserve to organise the World Cup".


The 82-year-old is being investigated by Swiss prosecutors for alleged corruption during his 17-year reign as head of world football's governing body.

To celebrate the beginning of the World Cup, a Chandigarh Physical Education teacher, Balraj Singh, carved out a miniature sculpture of the FIFA World Cup trophy here. It was reduced to six by FIFA's appeals panel.

"This is what I introduced in 2011", Blatter said.


Blatter was replaced at the head of Federation Internationale de Football Association by Gianni Infantino.

Comments