Suspect arrested in 1986 murder of teen

Adjust Comment Print

That's when police found the body of 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian. Illinois State Police assisted in the case, after the Tacoma Police Department and Pierce County Prosecutor's Office developed probable cause to arrest the suspect, authorities said. Her body was found in a gulch hours later.

Federal Bureau of Investigation representatives moved into his home in IL two weeks to collect the sample; Washburn willingly gave it " the detective composed, also May 3 that the results came back with a hit.

On the day she vanished, Jennifer, a keen cyclist who was eager to train for an upcoming race, asked her dad if she could take her bike to the park.

Washburn, 60, first came under police suspicion in the death of 12-year-old Michella Welch. Her slaying - and also Welch's - remained unsolved. He told them he often jogged at Point Defiance Park, sometimes twice a day, and he had been there when authorities cordoned it off amid a search for her.

In December of that year, detectives interviewed Washburn at his Tacoma apartment.

Welch's killing remains unsolved.

On August 26, 1986, a jogger smelled a foul odor coming from the woods while jogging around Five Mile Road near Commencement Bay.

Jennifer Bastian, who was last seen riding her new 18-speed Schwinn bicycle in a local park in Tacoma on Aug 4, 1986, had been strangled, local media reported. That indicates she made at least one lap around Five Mile Drive before she was kidnapped, records show. Two people possibly spoke with her as late as 5 the Dalco Passage viewpoint off Five Mile Drive. Washburn's name was on the list, and he agreed to provide his DNA to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In May, DNA results came back linking Washburn to Bastian's death, charging papers show.

At the time Jennifer disappeared, Washburn reportedly lived less than five miles away from Point Defiance Park.

Officials expect him to arrive in Tacoma by Monday.

Washburn appeared in Woodford County Circuit Court Friday morning and waived extradition to the state of Washington where an arrest warrant for murder in the first-degree had been issued earlier this week.