Prosecutors will seek death penalty for Florida high school shooter Nikolas Cruz

Adjust Comment Print

Prosecutors have called for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz to face the death penalty.

Meanwhile, Florida voters may get a chance to decide whether or not they want to approve new gun control restrictions.

"The state intends to seek the death penalty against defendant Nikolas Jacob Cruz", the state attorney for Broward County, Michael Satz, said in a court filing on the eve of the next hearing in the case.

Prosecutors in Florida said Tuesday they will seek the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old who killed 17 people last month in a shooting rampage at his former high school.


Mr Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder for the attack on February 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in which 14 students and three staff died.

Broward Health spokeswoman Jennifer Smith said Tuesday that Anthony Borges' condition has now been upgraded to fair.

The boy's intestinal area has been sealed off and he is breathing on his own after being taken off a ventilator, family attorney Alex Arreaza said.

Broward County Public Defender Howard Finkelstein said well-publicized warnings about Cruz's mental state - and missed opportunities to stop him - meant the death penalty was a step too far.


"You can help defeat this challenge", Montalto told commissioners.

Cruz was arrested shortly after committing the Valentine's Day killings and fleeing the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School campus among terrified students.

But this week he failed to follow up on plans to ban the sale of assault rifles, or the sale of any type of gun to those under 21. "What they're saying is, that these weapons of mass destruction that do nothing but tear human beings apart in an unbelievable way, do not belong in civilian hands".


Comments