Texas father charged with murder in death of 3-year-old girl

Adjust Comment Print

A man in Texas has been charged with capital murder of a child after police say he admitted accidentally killing a girl, less than a year after she was adopted from an Indian orphanage.

Wesley Mathews, 37, has been jailed on a lesser charge in Dallas County since shortly after his daughter, Sherin, was found dead.

An autopsy determined Sherin died from "homicidal violence." . Sini Mathews was indicted on a charge of child abandonment. Mathews told police he had been trying to get his 3-year-old daughter to drink milk but she kept refusing.

If Wesley is convicted of capital murder, he could face life in prison or the death penalty.

Wesley Mathews is being held at Dallas County Jail with a $1,000,000 bond.

A phone message left by The Associated Press seeking comment from Mathews' attorney wasn't returned Friday. The punishment for that ranges from two to 20 years in prison with a fine up to $10,000. The local police chief said it's been an intense case for his officers. "We are committed to continue our diligent and steadfast efforts to seek justice on their behalf".

"We have some information as to what might have happened", Johnson said.

"We will be tenacious, we will be persistent, and we will prosecute this case to the fullest." says Dallas County District Attorney, Faith Johnson.

Authorities later found Sherin's body in a culvert beneath a road.

- Tanya Eiserer (@tanyaeiserer) January 12, 2018The tampering with physical evidence indictment handed down against Wesley Mathews. At first, he allegedly claimed that he lost track of her after kicking her out of the home at 3 a.m.in the morning for not drinking her milk.

A hearing to determine whether their parental rights will be terminated has been set for the end of this month.

The American adoption agency the Mathews used with Sherin last summer has since been suspended by India after the government said it showed "negligent" behavior in the assessment of adoptive parents.

In a second interview about two weeks after Sherin went missing, the father gave a different account.