Max Hospital case: Baby dies, father refuses to take body

Adjust Comment Print

Meanwhile, Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain said that strict action will be taken against the hospital, once the report has been finalised.

On November 30, Ashish Kumar's wife gave birth to premature twins (boy and girl) at Max hospital in Shalimar Bagh. It is a matter of two or three days. "No one will be spared, if found guilty", Jain said on Wednesday. "Yesterday, the doctors told us he was critical and around 12:30 pm today, they told us he was no more", the infant's uncle Deepak said. It has found the Max of not following prescribed medical norms in dealing with newborn infants.

The boy died at a nursing home in Pitampura after battling for life for almost a week.

"No ECG (Electrocardiography) tracings were done to trace whether the child was alive", the source said, referring to the findings of the initial report. The body was handed over without written instructions. We only know that an FIR has been registered in the case.

Max Healthcare fired the two doctors considered responsible earlier this week, but emphasized that the decision to let the doctors go should not be interpreted as an admission of guilt. Max Hospital, in a statement on Wednesday said, "We just learnt of the sad demise of the 23-week preterm baby, who was on ventilator support". Our deepest condolences are with the parents and other family members. While we understand that survival in extreme preterm births is rare, it is always painful for parents and family. "We wish them the strength to cope with their loss".

This was the second instance in recent months where a private hospital in India has been called out for negligent care.

An investigation report by Competition Commission of India (CCI) said that the Max Super Speciality Hospital, Patparganj, which has been accused of declaring an alive newborn dead, sells syringes double the open market price and earns 525 per cent profit from them.

The enquiry committee set by the Delhi Government to probe into it has submitted its report on Tuesday, while the final report is still awaited.

Subsequently, the case was transferred from the district police to the Crime Branch, which is a specialised unit of the Delhi Police.