Dengue death: Fortis booked for negligence

Adjust Comment Print

The girl had died after a bout of dengue in September.

This was stated by Haryana Health Minister, Anil Vij while interacting with interacting with media persons here today.He said that the department had constituted a committee under the Chairmanship of Additional Director General, Dr Rajiv Wadhera to find out the facts in this case.

"We have issued a notice to the hospital regarding the cancellation of its drug licence and would be writing to Medical Council of India (MCI) to cancel the licence of the hospital", he said. The family, billed almost Rs16 lakh when discharging Adya, alleged they were overcharged and that the hospital was negligent in her treatment. The investigators also found that the girl was alive when her family had made a decision to shift her to another hospital.

"Agar doosre simple bhaasha mein maana jaaye, toh it is not a death, it is a murder (In simple language, it is not a death, but a murder)", he added.

The Minister said that the Fortis Hospital has not only violated the norms of IMA and MCI, but also ignored the protocol of medical treatment.

"They withdrew the entire advance life support system (ALS) and instead of an ALS ambulance, shifted the patient in an ordinary ambulance". But Fortis took the child off the ventilator and sent in an ambulance that did not even have an ambu bag, a device that allows spontaneous and artificial respiration.

Terming the incident "very unfortunate", Union Health Minister JP Nadda asked Union Health Secretary Preeti Sudan to look into the case and initiate an immediate inquiry into the matter. Besides medical negligence, the hospital has also been accused of unlawful and unethical conduct. "The hospital administered expensive medication to the patient despite having adequate stocks of generic medicines". Jayant Singh's allegation comes hours after the Haryana government's probe found the Fortis hospital guilty of negligence. Fortis said its Gurgaon hospital had "offered complete cooperation with the committee, and the family of Baby Adya".

Even though the hospital authorities on Wednesday said that they had not received a copy of the inquiry committee's report, the probe panel has found things that may land the hospital in serious legal trouble. Further, the hospital violated rules of blood bank by overcharging for the platelets.