Sergio Garcia apathetic toward winning Race To Dubai title

Adjust Comment Print

The Masters champion is approximately 1,070,000 points behind leader Tommy Fleetwood and 800,000 behind Justin Rose and, like most, he suspected that left him needing a miracle to storm the English party.

This Week's DP World Tour Championship Fantasy Picks & PredictionsYou must be a Premium Member to view our exclusive fantasy golf picks.

Final preparations are in place for some of the world's best golfers, ahead of this year's DP World Tour Championship.

On the three-way race for the Race to Dubai title, Garcia pleaded ignorance about the possibilities.

According to the European Tour, Fleetwood has a 73% chance of winning, Rose a 24% chance and Garcia a 3% chance. Garcia could have applied some pressure if he'd teed it up in the previous two events, the $7 million Turkish Airlines Open and $7.5 Nedbank Golf Challenge, but he was too busy.


Justin Rose is the closest challenger to Tommy Fleetwood this week.

What is changing is Garcia's equipment after his 15-year association with TaylorMade came to an end, with the Spaniard suggesting lucrative deals given to other players was a key factor. He did just that when squeezing out Ernie Els at Valderrama in 2007. The world #19 was 2nd at the WGC-Mexico Championship, 2nd at the Shenzhen International, fourth at the US Open and T6th recently at the Italian Open.

"I see a 2-percent chance of me winning the Race to Dubai, but I'm fine with it. Excited for these last few weeks of the year", he enthused.

He, however, promised to give everything during the DP World Tour Championship that starts at the Jumeirah Golf Estate's The Earth course from Thursday.

There was a time when being European No. 1 was a big deal.


"It would be wonderful", he said when asked if both Fleetwood and Rose fare very badly and he wins the DP World Tour Championship.

Why not buy a Now TV pass?

When Garcia won the Omega Dubai Desert Classic last February at the Emirates Golf Course, with a three-stroke win over Henrik Stenson, he had said: "Hopefully it will be the beginning of a great year".

Jon Rahm - The world #5 was announced as the 2017 European Tour Rookie of the Year after a phenomenal season which included his Irish Open win in the Rolex Series as well as his first PGA Tour title at the Farmers Insurance Open in January.


Comments