Christopher Plummer says Kevin Spacey situation is 'very sad'

Adjust Comment Print

Scott made the decision to recast Spacey from All the Money in the World in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations brought against the actor by multiple people.

Last week, it was announced Spacey, 58, will be cut out of Scott's latest film, which would have seen the embattled Oscar victor star as J. Paul Getty under heavy prosthetic makeup.

Scott, along with the film's executive producers, chose to cut Spacey out of the film entirely after the actor was accused of sexual harassment and misconduct by numerous people - some of whom claim to have had sexual encounters with the actor when they were underage. The whole circumstance is sad, ” he mused. Scott will reshoot all of Spacey's scenes in an attempt to save the movie and still have it released on December 22. "Everyone has to do it, Ridley and I talked about this before long ago, so it wasn't very new to me".


The Oscar victor also explained that he felt no real hesitation at taking on the role after Spacey, because he had already been in talks to play Getty before the House of Cards actor was cast. Filming for "All the Money in the World" is expected to begin next Monday, Plummer told Entertainment Tonight.

"It's not really replacing him - it's starting all over again", he noted, adding that he has not been in contact with Spacey since the casting change was announced on November 9. "In a amusing way it's starting all over again because it's going to be different, naturally".

All The Money In The World will be released in United Kingdom cinemas on January 5, 2018.


To date, 15 men have revealed sexual misconduct by Kevin Spacey since October 29, when his first accuser, Rent and Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp, said the Oscar victor sexually assaulted him at a party when he was 14.

In a statement posted to his Twitter account, Spacey apologised to the actor, saying he did not remember the incident. "I'm used to big roles and lots of words".

In an unprecedented move, Spacey, enduring a potentially career-ending scandal after over a dozen men have come forward to allege sexual impropriety on his part, is being removed from the finished film weeks before its scheduled release.


CNN reported that eight current and former employees of House of Cards, who were not identified, alleged sexual misconduct against Spacey.

Comments