British diver swims for miles after being 'chased' by huge tiger shark

Adjust Comment Print

Many feel that divers have one of the best jobs in the world, interacting with the elusive marine animals, however, what one such diver faced in the deep waters of Australia will clue you in to how unsafe it can be.

At one point the shark cruised beside him as if it was a whale shark, a harmless cousin of the tiger species.

"Its head was almost a metre wide, it was about three times the girth of me and it was just like a submarine just circling".

At first, he put his stun gun between him and the shark - careful not to provoke it - but eventually gave up the "dance" and made a decision to try to make it to shore.

Mr Craig said the tiger shark began circling and making sudden darts towards him.

"I watched the tiger shark circle and then suddenly approach me multiple times from different angles".

"It was trying to work out what I was and whether I could be on the menu".

A BRIT diver thought he would be "eaten in the middle of nowhere" after losing sight of his boat and being followed by a shark on Australia's west coast.

Mr Craig, originally from Tyne and Wear, said that he had been spear-fishing when his spear gun became caught.

The shark trailed behind him, sometimes disappearing into the blue, then reappearing.

"I thought I was gone - four nautical miles out to sea with a huge tiger shark following me -I thought this was it, this is how I'm going to die".

"I have to admit that at this point I thought I was gone."

Craig, who had lived in Australia for two years and been a diving instructor for 10, swam for three hours before he got to shore. He said: 'It was just one of the most surreal experiences because it was no longer trying to get me, it was kind of escorting me to shore'.

The sun was nearly down when the pilot of the search plane made his last pass for the day closer to the coast. "I just wanted to tell her I was alive", he told ABC.

By this time, his friend had alerted authorities to Craig's disappearance and he was spotted by a sea rescue plane around an hour later as he walked along the coastline.

John would like to thank everyone involved in his rescue - Shark Bay VMR, the Police, Shark Bay Aviation, SES, Fisheries, Ocean Park, Shark Bay Dive and all the volunteers who joined the search. "I could barely stand, my legs were so sore from the 7.5-kilometre swim".

Mr Craig said the tiger shark's head was at least a metre wide.

"These animals are apex predators, but we are not on the menu", he said, according to The Guardian. "We need them in the oceans and, as much as it was scary at the time, I can only reflect on how attractive that big female tiger shark was".